AUTHORS LAB: Applications Are Open!
- Your time and energy. To be successful in Authors Lab, you must be dedicated to your writing and to your cohort. This means: writing consistently; attending at least five of the six Weekend Intensives; attending elective classes; meeting with your mentor and cohort accountability partners; and participating in the online community — an average investment of 7-10 hours per week.
- Base fee. The base fee for 2021-22 is $3,000 per year, payable in monthly installments of $250 per month, plus the Charlotte Lit annual membership fee. (Memberships begin at $75 per year.)
- Optional: Developmental Reads. Developmental feedback on the entire manuscript draft is recommended after each major draft is completed. We contract with published writers and experienced editors, including Betsy Thorpe, Constance Renfrow, Jeff Jackson, Kim Wright, Paula Martinac, and others. The fee for this service is an additional $1,200 for the first 80,000 words.
Charlotte Lit has limited scholarship funds available. You can make a preliminary application here. Writers making it to the final round may be asked for income verification in the form of IRS filings.
Applying to Authors Lab
What makes a strong application?
• A firm grasp of your chosen genre. (Writers are readers first.)
• A strong story concept and an ability to summarize the basic story arc (with the understanding, of course, that the story arc may change during the drafting process).
• A well-crafted writing sample. (While we accept writers with a range of writing and publication experience, writing a full-length manuscript requires above-average writing skills. Applicants should have previous craft class experience and completed at least one full-length short story or essay.)
Applications and information sessions for the 2021-22 cohort are now open!
In addition to completing the written application, applicants are required to attend an information session. If you’re unable to attend a scheduled session, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a personal interview.
Here are the links you need:
Application, Part 1 (questions about you and your book project)
Application, Part 2 (writing sample and story summary, plus $20 application reading fee)
Application Question Preview (a good idea, as the apps must be completed in one go)
Information Session Schedule (essential! See note above.)