CHARLOTTE LIT’S AUTHORS LAB
Authors Lab applications for the 2024 cohort open soon. Apply between September 15 and November 15, 2023 for the 2024 program year, which runs from January to December. Please note: Attending an Info Session is required to have your application evaluated. Much more info (and application links) are below.
- Your time and energy. To be successful in Authors Lab, you must be dedicated to your writing and to your cohort. This means: writing consistently; attending at least five of the six Weekend Intensives; attending elective classes; meeting with your mentor and cohort accountability partners; and participating in the online community — an average investment of 7-10 hours per week.
- Base fee. The base fee for 2023 is $3,600 per year, payable in monthly installments of $300 per month, plus the Charlotte Lit annual membership fee. (Memberships begin at $75 per year.)
One year or more? Your Authors Lab journey is your own. Many writers complete a draft in one year; others take two. Some stay with Authors Lab for that second year, while others work on their own. Some write a draft in one or two years, then stay for another year to focus on revision. You get to choose!
Charlotte Lit has limited scholarship funds available. You can apply here. Writers making it to the final round may be asked for income verification in the form of IRS filings. Please note that scholarship requests are evaluated after acceptance into the Lab.
Applying to Authors Lab
What makes a strong application?
• A firm grasp of your chosen genre. (Writers are readers first.)
• A strong story concept and an ability to summarize the basic story arc (with the understanding, of course, that the story arc may change during the drafting process).
• A well-crafted writing sample. (While we accept writers with a range of writing and publication experience, writing a full-length manuscript requires above-average writing skills. Applicants should have previous craft class experience and completed at least one full-length short story or essay.)
Here are the links you need:
- Application Part 1: questions about you and your book project
- Application Part 2: writing sample and story summary, plus $20 application reading fee
- Application Question Preview (a good idea, as the apps must be completed in one go)
- Information Session Schedule (in addition to completing the written application, applicants are required to attend an information session)